Want to work at a true software engineering company? Do you want to work in a company who values software engineering principals, tackles challenging and takes the long term view?
Byng is looking for a senior software engineer to join our team in Leeds. You will have need to have worked in a lead position on projects in excess of £100k value or with 4 people or more.
We’re looking for someone who has experience in more than one programming language including an interest in newer frameworks.
The successful candidate must have:
- 1+ years working as a lead engineer on a project with 3+ people over 3 months
- 5+ years in either PHP, Java, Scala or Node.js
- At least 1 year of experience working with continuous integration systems such as Jenkins;
- Experience writing and executing unit/functional tests, preferably as part of a TDD/BDD methodology;
- Great technical ability and keen interest in software system architecture and software development;
- A sharp eye for detail, be organised and demonstrate an appreciation of all the functional and non-functional aspects of a software system;
- The ability to express technical ideas and concepts effectively to the team;
- The ability to lead and encourage more junior members of the team through code reviews, mentoring and training where applicable.
You will also be able to demonstrate most of the following skills:
- Ability to quality assurance work of junior developers and communicate ideas and concepts to other members of the development team;
- Working with web service APIs and various authentication methodologies;
- Version Control Systems (Git);
- Linux server LNMP/LAMP stack knowledge and experience;
- Experience configuring development, testing and production environments running on Linux operating systems;
- Previous web-based business applications experience, working with creative agencies.
What you will be doing:
- Designing, developing and helping to architect next generation tech platforms, integrations and applications;
- Encouraging adherence to an efficient systems architecture in both the front-end and back-end areas of a software system;
- Devising and implementing database/storage schemas and object mapping using configured database schemas and entity description;
- Architecting API logic to manipulate the model, using use cases as guides;
- Working with senior consultants and business analysts in the business;
- Guiding teams of developers in the development of an application;
- Encouraging adherence to organised software development using the YouTrack project management solution;
- Taking a leading role in our evolving development processes, such as code quality, code reviews, test driven development and continuous integration.
Competitive Leeds based salary with benefits
* Depending on experience and ability with 10% subject to performance.
- Start-up ethos and engineering led company
- Flexible working times
- Great office location
- 10% discretionary annual bonus scheme (after 12 months)
- Private healthcare and work place pension scheme
Candidates should clearly state no. of years development experience or supply a link to their portfolio, followed by required salary, availability to work (when you can start) and confirm eligibility to work in the EU.
Our hiring process is usually a telephone interview followed by an interview in The Calls.
Everyone at Byng has a passion for software engineering. We’re solving upcoming workforce shortages by switching man power to technology pipes. We systematically move administrative and broker activities onto well engineered and usable online services. We implement platforms (CMSs, portals), integrate business software into online services and create bespoke software apps.
- We use technology to disrupt and create innovative business models
- We work with best in field businesses and partner consultancies
- We launch technology ventures and work with funded start-ups
Written By: Byng